Tabouleh is a popular Arabic fresh salad, traditionally made with bulgar wheat. This recipe is a very common raw vegan version, replacing bulgar wheat with raw, grated cauliflower, making it much lighter, starch-free and a perfect vegetable side dish to serve with a portion of protein. Serves 4 people as a side dish or 2 as a main dish.
Lemons, juiced, 1-2
Fresh parsley, finely chopped, 1 bunch
Fresh mint, finely chopped, ½ bunch
Cauliflower head, 1
Diced tomatoes (plum, salad or heirloom), 2 large
Extra-virgin olive oil, 5 tbsp
Spring onions, chopped, 2
Balsamic vinegar, 3 tbsp
Ground cumin, 2 tsp
Sumac, 2 tsp
Sea salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
1. Chop and grate the cauliflower.
2. Dice the tomatoes then add them to the cauliflower and set aside.
3. Add extra-virgin olive oil, cumin powder, turmeric powder, sea salt, ground black pepper and lemon juice to bowl and mix to create a marinade.
4. Add the chopped spring onions, fresh chopped parsley and mint to the cauliflower and tomato mix.
5. Finally pour over the marinade, stir well and serve as a carbohydrate-free, vegetable side dish.
Add raw chopped cashew nuts or walnuts as a vegetarian protein and to complete the dish.
Substitute the mint with coriander for an East-Asian flavour, and the sumac powder for turmeric powder to give it a more Indian-style flavour, or simply remove if you prefer softer tastes.